You are here

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Children, Families, & Childcare Professionals

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette continues to monitor the evolving COVID-19, or coronavirus, situation. Because the health and safety of the campus community is the University’s primary concern, preparation and the timely sharing of information are essential. The University is working closely with the Louisiana Office of Public Health to get relevant information to the campus community as quickly as possible. All updates will be posted to a dedicated webpage ( and on the University’s social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter.

Additionally, the Picard Center is dedicated to serving Louisiana's children and families and have provided a number of resources below for parents and caregivers.

Childcare & School Information

Mental Health Resources

Official updates from Louisiana Department of Education:

General Guidelines for Parents:

General Guidelines for Childcare Centers:

  • Centers are required to keep 10 individuals or less in a group at one time and to minimize visitors even during drop-off and pick-up.
  • Any center that must close will inform the LDOE.
  • If any childcare teacher would like to offer respite care in their home, there is a path to do this. Lafayette's local Resource and Referral Agency is On Track by Five. Other areas may search for their referral agency at this site:
  • Certain practices for Licensing and Professional Development requirements will be waived (e.g., group sizes, sign-in/sign-out procedures, etc.) Centers can keep track of attendance on paper and not require parents to sign in using electronic methods.
  • For CCAP families, LA-4 and NSECD attendance must be accounted for through March 13th and submitted to the department. Future CCAP payments will be made based on attendance (not enrollment) through 4/13.
  • There are partial benefits available for employees who have been sent home without pay. This is accessed through Louisiana Workforce Commission, and they are waiving the one week waiting requirement.
  • There are small business loans available for Type I and Type II childcare centers (those who do not accept CCAP). Please email:
  • All questions pertaining to early childhood during the COVID-19 outbreak can be directed to:

Official updates from the Louisiana Bureau of Family Health:

Mental Health Resources for Professionals and Families:

  • TIKES Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation is an intervention that teams a mental health professional with early childhood professionals and is available to teachers, directors, owners, parents or others caring for young children during the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • The "Healthy at Home" toolkit is a resource that may be helpful to parents in need of support during this time.

Stress, Depression, or Anxiety? Call the COVID Hotline, a free phone line from the Office of Behavioral Health that provides trained, compassionate counselors to support Louisianans through this difficult time. Counselors are available 24/7 and can link callers to mental health and substance abuse counseling services. Call 1-866-310-7977.

Postpartum Support: Visit This organization provides parents experiencing depression and anxiety with information and support. It also helps connect them to local mental health providers. Visit their website, call the helpline at 800-944-4773 or text 503-894-9453 (English) or 971-420-0294 (Español).

Helpful Handouts, Webpages and Tips:

Need to find a mental health provider for yourself or your children? Contact your local human services district for crisis counseling and local mental health resources.

Free apps and websites to help you manage stress:

  • and the Calm App: Guided meditations, breathing exercises, relaxing music, and sleep stories to help you rest and reduce stress.
  • Headspace App: Guided meditations and exercises/movements to help you reduce stress & sleep soundly.

Tips for talking to children about what’s happening:

In case of emergency or if you need immediate help, call 911. These national hotlines also provide help in a crisis:

In non-emergency situations, these numbers can help:

  • Call 211 to be connected to mental health crisis counseling, non-emergency medical care, local information related to the coronavirus, and referrals to community services.
  • Compulsive Gambling Hotline: Call 1-877-770-7867
  • Alcohol/Drug Helpline: Call 1-877-664-2248
  • Crisis Counselor: Call 1-866-310-7977